Skip to main content

The Next Door

When I moved from Melbourne to this new town called Gympie in Queensland, I knew no one. I had known only few of my office colleagues whom I met during the interview. Having just returned from a crowded family holiday in India, no wonder I felt alone. I was undergoing a dilemma whether I had made the 'right move' to come to the 'right place'. I found a small unit house, locked myself and spent my time either watching movies or browsing the Internet until my neighbour knocked my door one day.


My neighbour was standing at the door with a basket of goodies that had tea, sugar, noodles and rice. I thought he was delivering it to a wrong address. He smiled and said, "This is my way of welcoming you to the neighbourhood, mate. Enjoy yourself". Whenever I returned from office, he would catch hold of me for a few small talks on what he did on that day and ask me few questions on what I did at work. After those chats, after a few days, things started improving. I started to be social with others on the streets and also at the work. His random acts of kindness didn't stop there. 


When I rush home to take my clothes to save them from the afternoon rains, I have always found them neatly folded and kept in front of my door. On the weekends, he would ask me if I needed anything 'down the streets', as he is going for a stroll. He would knock at my door while cooking to complement how nice the curry flavour is (I had to offer him dinner for a day or two - I am happy about it). He would offer me a ride on his car to go to markets when he goes. He reminds me if I had left my windows opened or doors unlocked (yea, I do that to check how good this town is) when I come home. I have thanked many a times for his small acts of kindness.


One day I asked him why he is doing all these (yea, if someone is extremey good to us, you doubt it and ask why - that's what my city folks have taught me). He said, 'I will tell you mate, when I came to this place a few years ago, I was broke, depressed going through a divorce and what-not, I felt I wanted to kill myself. Then, one of the neighbour here, helped me to recover. He talked me out of the hole, comforted to bring me back where I am now. He's gone now, but it's my way of paying tribute to him. I know how tough it would be to move to a new place and find your feet. Don't you worry, I am here'.


On the other day, I asked him, 'Dont you get annoyed by the people who laughs at you for the things that you do to others?'. He replied, 'Yea, mate. I know there are few goofies out there who snap at me and think I am a weirdo from another planet. But, these are the little things that every good neighbour should be doing, not as a duty but as a courtesy thing. I always do these things to make myself feel good. If the people are good, then they will feel happy, thank me and smile at me. If not, at least I am happy having known that I had done some little good for others. It's all about looking after each other, is it not?'.


I am still thinking what I should do to pay him back. Well, he had taught me that too, didn't he? Perhaps, I need to find another lonely looking person who is struggling to settle down in this town and help him/her.


Didn't Mother Teresa tell you this: "I want you to be concerned about your next door neighbor. Do you know your next door neighbor?"

Comments

Anonymous said…
Gud one bro .. ur soo lucky :))
Unknown said…
Truly Inspiring Thiru!!!
Anonymous said…
very inspiring U r lucky:-)
Thiru said…
Few of my friends said this post is a good one and wondered how lucky i am to have such a good neighbour. And the whole point of the post is that YOU can be a good neighbour and make someone lucky. I am trying. Are you?
Thiru said…
Really excellent write up Thiru. Hope hereafter at least people wish to turn back towards their neighbors.
Good to know there are still people who care about neighbors.
revathi said…
hi, very cute story.how impressive the neibour. hats off to you for sharing wonderful event with us.

Popular posts from this blog

பறவையே, எங்கு இருக்கிறாய்!

TLDR; If you merely wish for something and do nothing, you may not get it. If you seek with intent, the universe will bring it to you.   முன்னொரு காலத்துல கிம்ப்பியில் (Gympie, QLD) வாழ்ந்தப்ப, ஒரு நாள் காலங்காத்தால 6 மணிக்கு கொக்கரக்கோன்னு கோழி கூவறதுக்கு முன்னால, அந்த பறவையோட பாடலை முதல் முதலாக் கேட்டேன். குரல் ரொம்ப நல்லாவும், பாட்டு வித்தியாசமாவும் இருந்ததால, என்ன பறவையா இருக்கும்னு தூக்கத்தை மறந்து யோசிச்சேன். அந்தப் பறவை எப்படி இருக்கும்னு பார்க்க ஆசையா வந்துந்துச்சு. (கவிதை மொழியில் யாரோ ஒரு பெண்ணை உருவகப்படுத்தல ப்ரோ; சத்தியமா பறக்கிற பறவையேதான்!) அப்புறம், காலைப்பசி வந்ததும், ஆர்வம் பறந்துபோய், இன்னொரு நாள் பாத்துக்கலாம்னு, மூக்கு புடிக்க சாப்டுட்டு, ஆபீஸ் போய்ட்டேன். இது சில, பல நாட்கள் தொடர்ந்தது. பாக்காமலே, அந்த பறவை மேல ஒரு ‘இது’. இதுன்னா, ஒரு ஆர்வம். ஒரு நாள், அந்தப் பறவையை அடையாளம் காண முடியுமான்னு ஆபீஸ் நண்பரிடம், கேட்டேன். ‘பார்க்க எப்படி இருந்துச்சு?’ன்னு அவர் கேக்க;   ‘பார்க்கவே இல்லையே!’ நான் சொல்ல;  ‘குரல் எந்த மாதிரி பேட்டர்ன்’ன்னு திரும்ப அவர் கேட்க,  அடுத்த பதின

அவர்களும், நானும்!

அவர்கள்: “என்னங்க... உங்க வீட்டு டிவி ரொம்ப சிறுசா இருக்கு?” நான்: எங்க வீட்ல பெருசா இருக்கிற 170 இன்ச் புத்தக அலமாரி-யை கவனிச்சீங்களா? அவர்கள்: “XYZ (Private School) பள்ளிக்கூடந்தான் (or ABC டீச்சர்தான்) பெஸ்ட் , என் பொண்ணு அங்கதான் படிக்கிறா..நீங்களும் உங்க பையன அங்க சேத்துடுங்களேன்” நான்: ஸ்கூல் பீஸ் கட்டறீங்கன்னா, இப்பவே நாங்க ரெடி!  அவர்கள்: “கார் வேற பழசாயிடுச்சு, வேற வாங்கிடுங்களேன்..” நான்: நீங்க எப்ப அனுமதி கொடுப்பீங்கன்னுதான், பணப்பையோட காத்துக்கிட்டிருந்தோம், தோ கிளம்பிட்டோம்! அவர்கள்: “வாங்கறதுதான் வாங்கறீங்க..புது காராவே வாங்கிடுங்களேன்...”  நான்: நீங்களே ஒண்ணு வாங்கி கொடுத்துடுங்களேன், நன்றியோடு வாங்கிக்கிறோம். கேஷா... கார்டா... ப்ரோ? அவர்கள்: "வெயிட் குறைக்கிறதெல்லாம் பெரிய மேட்டரே இல்ல ப்ரோ...டெய்லி வெறும் வயித்தில 'ஹாட் வாட்டர் + லெமன் ஜூஸ்' 45 நாள் விடாம குடிங்க.. வேற ஒண்ணும் செய்ய தேவையில்லை...சூப்பர்-ஆ ஸ்லிம் ஆயிடுவீங்க" நான்: வெயிட் குறைக்கிறதுக்கு டிப்ஸ் கேட்டனா நான்...? நான்: “உங்க பையனுக்குத் தமிழ் படிக்க சொல்லிக்

கல் தோன்றி, மண் தோன்றா

  “கல்  தோன்றி,  மண் தோன்றா காலத்தே முன் தோன்றிய மூத்தகுடி தமிழ்க் குடி”  இந்த Punch  Dialogue-ஐ  சொல்லி ஆரம்பிக்கப்பட்டு, கைதட்டல் வாங்கிய தமிழ்ப்  பேச்சுகள் தமிழ் மேடைப் பேச்சு வரலாற்றில் மூவாயிரம் கோடியே முன்னூற்று முப்பத்து மூணு இருக்கும்.   முனைவர் கண்ணபிரான் ரவிசங்கர் (கரச) எழுதிய ‘ அறியப்படாத தமிழ்மொழி ’ என்னும் புத்தகத்தை  படிக்கும்வரை நானும் ஏதோ ஒரு புலவர்  பிற்காலத்தில் வரப்போற, ‘ஓங்கி அடிச்சா  ஒன்றரை டன்ன்னுடா’க்கு கைதட்டி குதுகலிக்கும் தமிழ் மக்களுக்கு புகழ்ச்சி புடிக்கும்ன்னு இதை எழுதி வைச்சிட்டு போயிட்டாரோன்னு கடந்து போயிருக்கேன்.   அதெப்படி? கல்,  மண் தோன்றுமுன்னே தமிழ்க் குடிமக்கள் பிறந்து விட்டார்களா? இல்ல, தமிழ் மொழி மற்ற மொழிகளை  விட அவ்வளவு பழமையானதா? ன்னு  ஆராய்ச்சி செஞ்சு புத்தகத்தின் முதல் கட்டுரையாக  எழுதி இருக்கார் கரச (https://twitter.com/kryes)   சரி,  எங்கே  இருந்து வந்தது இந்த இரண்டு வரிகள்? ஐயனாரிதனர் என்பவர் எழுதிய புறப்பொருள் வெண்பா மாலை என்ற இலக்கண நூலில் வரும் பாடல்தான் அது.  பொய் அகல, நாளும் புகழ் விளைத்தல் என் வியப்பாம்?  வையகம் போர்த்த, வயங்கு ஒலிநீ