Skip to main content

Who will spend $35 to have a Medium McChicken meal? I did

I had to catch a plane for Hamilton from Melbourne, Essendon airport. I travelled by a taxi and reached the Essendon airport thinking that I will have my lunch and browse (wireless) internet for a while before catching my plane in 3 hours. But, Essendon airport looked like a ghost aerodrome. There was no one at sight and the only café at the airport was closed for Sunday (duh). I was hungry. I looked around and asked a passer-by if there is a café nearby. He said, 'Nope, you have to travel to the nearest suburb to find one'. Since I had enough time, I thought I would go by a Taxi and get something to eat. I called for a cab and it came in few minutes.

'Hey! You called for a cab?' asked the Chinese cab driver.

I said, 'yes'.

"Where do you want to go?"

"To the nearest café. May be McDonalds or something."

"Oh, I see you are hungry. After having lunch, where do you want to go?"

"I want to come to this place (same airport) again. I want to get some lunch, may be – we will find a McDonalds or KFC and drivethrough, get lunch and come back."

I told him that I have to wait for another 2.5 hrs to catch a flight to Hamitlon and it will reach

He was puzzled and may have thought, 'what a moron spends at least $25 on cab charge and get a $7 meal' and asked, "When did you have your last meal?"

"I had breakfast at 12 am – a coffee and muffin."

"That means, just 3 ½ hours. When will you reach Hamilton?"

"At around 6.45pm."

"Can't you wait for another 3 hours for the next meal? See, the cab charge has already crossed $10. You could have spent this on a nice, big meal."

As we drove, he pointed out at a distant 'KFC sign post along the road and said, "Ok, there's a KFC, do you want to eat there or should we go to McDonalds only".

I found a Meccas on the left side of the road, "Oh, there it is. McDonalds. Drive through."

Over the speaker, the McDonald's girl asked, "What do you want, sir?"

I said, "I want a McChicken meal, large" to the driver. The driver shouted "McChicken meal? Try BigMac, it is worth and will fill your stomach". I said, "oh no, I want only McChicken meal."

"Is the order on the screen correct, sir? The screen shows 'McChicken meal large with coke'. The driverstill looking at the menu board (not looking at the screen below) shouts, 'No big Mac. Only McChicken large, fries, coke'.

After few minutes of communication struggle, "I shouted ok, the order is correct".

We wait behind four cars after paid the money, the girl delivers a pack that contains '3 coke and 2 ice creams and tells, 'Please wait for you 3 big Mac, sir'.

As I was trying to say, 'sorry, this is not I ordered. I wanted a large McChicken meal' – the driver winks at me and tells, 'Shh…You take all these, you have spent $25 for coming here. Take these and the big macs – you can have for lunch and dinner'.

I say, 'I don't eat big Mac – it contains beef - I want only chicken'.The driver nods his head left and right thinking, 'Hopeless, he is simply an idiot'. And the girl apologizes for the confusion made and hands me the large McChicken meal, fries and coke that costs $6.95.

"You should've taken those entire BIG Macs', the driver argues with nodding his head vigorously. We reached the airport and asked, 'How much the cabcharge is'. He says, '$29.50'.

Thus, I spent a whole $30 plus the $6.95 for eating my lunch, a McChicken meal.

Are you still listening to this story?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

பறவையே, எங்கு இருக்கிறாய்!

TLDR; If you merely wish for something and do nothing, you may not get it. If you seek with intent, the universe will bring it to you.   முன்னொரு காலத்துல கிம்ப்பியில் (Gympie, QLD) வாழ்ந்தப்ப, ஒரு நாள் காலங்காத்தால 6 மணிக்கு கொக்கரக்கோன்னு கோழி கூவறதுக்கு முன்னால, அந்த பறவையோட பாடலை முதல் முதலாக் கேட்டேன். குரல் ரொம்ப நல்லாவும், பாட்டு வித்தியாசமாவும் இருந்ததால, என்ன பறவையா இருக்கும்னு தூக்கத்தை மறந்து யோசிச்சேன். அந்தப் பறவை எப்படி இருக்கும்னு பார்க்க ஆசையா வந்துந்துச்சு. (கவிதை மொழியில் யாரோ ஒரு பெண்ணை உருவகப்படுத்தல ப்ரோ; சத்தியமா பறக்கிற பறவையேதான்!) அப்புறம், காலைப்பசி வந்ததும், ஆர்வம் பறந்துபோய், இன்னொரு நாள் பாத்துக்கலாம்னு, மூக்கு புடிக்க சாப்டுட்டு, ஆபீஸ் போய்ட்டேன். இது சில, பல நாட்கள் தொடர்ந்தது. பாக்காமலே, அந்த பறவை மேல ஒரு ‘இது’. இதுன்னா, ஒரு ஆர்வம். ஒரு நாள், அந்தப் பறவையை அடையாளம் காண முடியுமான்னு ஆபீஸ் நண்பரிடம், கேட்டேன். ‘பார்க்க எப்படி இருந்துச்சு?’ன்னு அவர் கேக்க;   ‘பார்க்கவே இல்லையே!’ நான் சொல்ல;  ‘குரல் எந்த மாதிரி பேட்டர்ன்’ன்னு திரும்ப அவர் கேட்க,  அடுத்த பதின

அவர்களும், நானும்!

அவர்கள்: “என்னங்க... உங்க வீட்டு டிவி ரொம்ப சிறுசா இருக்கு?” நான்: எங்க வீட்ல பெருசா இருக்கிற 170 இன்ச் புத்தக அலமாரி-யை கவனிச்சீங்களா? அவர்கள்: “XYZ (Private School) பள்ளிக்கூடந்தான் (or ABC டீச்சர்தான்) பெஸ்ட் , என் பொண்ணு அங்கதான் படிக்கிறா..நீங்களும் உங்க பையன அங்க சேத்துடுங்களேன்” நான்: ஸ்கூல் பீஸ் கட்டறீங்கன்னா, இப்பவே நாங்க ரெடி!  அவர்கள்: “கார் வேற பழசாயிடுச்சு, வேற வாங்கிடுங்களேன்..” நான்: நீங்க எப்ப அனுமதி கொடுப்பீங்கன்னுதான், பணப்பையோட காத்துக்கிட்டிருந்தோம், தோ கிளம்பிட்டோம்! அவர்கள்: “வாங்கறதுதான் வாங்கறீங்க..புது காராவே வாங்கிடுங்களேன்...”  நான்: நீங்களே ஒண்ணு வாங்கி கொடுத்துடுங்களேன், நன்றியோடு வாங்கிக்கிறோம். கேஷா... கார்டா... ப்ரோ? அவர்கள்: "வெயிட் குறைக்கிறதெல்லாம் பெரிய மேட்டரே இல்ல ப்ரோ...டெய்லி வெறும் வயித்தில 'ஹாட் வாட்டர் + லெமன் ஜூஸ்' 45 நாள் விடாம குடிங்க.. வேற ஒண்ணும் செய்ய தேவையில்லை...சூப்பர்-ஆ ஸ்லிம் ஆயிடுவீங்க" நான்: வெயிட் குறைக்கிறதுக்கு டிப்ஸ் கேட்டனா நான்...? நான்: “உங்க பையனுக்குத் தமிழ் படிக்க சொல்லிக்

கல் தோன்றி, மண் தோன்றா

  “கல்  தோன்றி,  மண் தோன்றா காலத்தே முன் தோன்றிய மூத்தகுடி தமிழ்க் குடி”  இந்த Punch  Dialogue-ஐ  சொல்லி ஆரம்பிக்கப்பட்டு, கைதட்டல் வாங்கிய தமிழ்ப்  பேச்சுகள் தமிழ் மேடைப் பேச்சு வரலாற்றில் மூவாயிரம் கோடியே முன்னூற்று முப்பத்து மூணு இருக்கும்.   முனைவர் கண்ணபிரான் ரவிசங்கர் (கரச) எழுதிய ‘ அறியப்படாத தமிழ்மொழி ’ என்னும் புத்தகத்தை  படிக்கும்வரை நானும் ஏதோ ஒரு புலவர்  பிற்காலத்தில் வரப்போற, ‘ஓங்கி அடிச்சா  ஒன்றரை டன்ன்னுடா’க்கு கைதட்டி குதுகலிக்கும் தமிழ் மக்களுக்கு புகழ்ச்சி புடிக்கும்ன்னு இதை எழுதி வைச்சிட்டு போயிட்டாரோன்னு கடந்து போயிருக்கேன்.   அதெப்படி? கல்,  மண் தோன்றுமுன்னே தமிழ்க் குடிமக்கள் பிறந்து விட்டார்களா? இல்ல, தமிழ் மொழி மற்ற மொழிகளை  விட அவ்வளவு பழமையானதா? ன்னு  ஆராய்ச்சி செஞ்சு புத்தகத்தின் முதல் கட்டுரையாக  எழுதி இருக்கார் கரச (https://twitter.com/kryes)   சரி,  எங்கே  இருந்து வந்தது இந்த இரண்டு வரிகள்? ஐயனாரிதனர் என்பவர் எழுதிய புறப்பொருள் வெண்பா மாலை என்ற இலக்கண நூலில் வரும் பாடல்தான் அது.  பொய் அகல, நாளும் புகழ் விளைத்தல் என் வியப்பாம்?  வையகம் போர்த்த, வயங்கு ஒலிநீ