February 18, 2006
The action has begun officially. James Bond's Casino Royale is going to be relased in November, 2006.
DANIEL CRAIG (pic by Sony) is named as newest James Bond after Brosnan. News links about his lady love and villain.
The first James Bond whom I watched was Pierce Brosnan! I believed no other man can fit in that role until I saw Sean Connery. After seeing Golden Eye, Tomorrow Never Dies and The World is Not Enough I started watching the old movies.
It took me more than a month to search and see all those 20 movies (have you seen Octopussy which was filmed in India?), the latest one being Die Another Day (The chase sequence in which Bond escapes the melting of snow and skating on sea ice..Amazing heroism!).
Casino Royale was the first story written by Ian Fleming and it features youthful life of the British Spy.
Recently, I saw a 1967 film of that story (which was filmed not by MGM!) - it is NOT worth a movie at all.
Long live James Bond!
February 11, 2006
It was a good match to watch on the ground. I was shivering in the winds, though.
So, here are my (little) observations:
- Usually in Indian subcontinent, the toss will precede the match by at least an hour. Here, the coin was tossed just 15 minutes before the game.
- Brett Lee was the one who appeared first, on the ground before anyone came in, sincerely practicing his thunderbolts. He went wicketeless, unfortunate.
- The srilankan innings was dragging until last 6 or 7 overs which produced some stunning shots for boundaries and sixes.
- Simon Clarke made justice for his selection as Super Sub and took a stunning return catch to dismiss Jayawardene.
- Half of the srilankan players were looking like school boys, coming down the track to hit Symonds, Hogg, Lee.
- During the break, Muttiah Muralitharan came in first ahead of his mates to practice his bowling.
- Ponting was the first one to got run-out, without facing a ball. Diamond Duck!
- I thought Symonds could bat through - but he got out needlessly coming down to Murali.
- Brett Lee was instructed to bat cautiously until final overs. So, he didn't swing his bat at all.
- The match was swinging both ways in the later parts
- The crowd attendance was little over 23,000 where as in India that would be at least 50,000 on any day in a test match or one-dayer!
February 5, 2006
This happened during the famous 3rd test match of recent West Indies-Australia Test series. While Brian Lara made a double hundred, Shane approaching a milestone for the bowler who took highest number of wickets in a calendar year (He achieved later against South Africa), it was a memorable match.
While these were happening, an Indian Student who is not interested in Cricket (Strangely, he is from India!) goes to deliver a Pizza to a customer who was staying at Hyatt.
Indian Boy (Knocks the door): Pizza!
Shane Warne (Open the door): Come in, mate!
The boy not realising the great spinner, thinks to himself, 'No one will call a pizza delivery man into a hotel room. He seems to be a nice man' and enter the room. Shane was searching for his wallet. Our boy looks around the room to find some cricket bats, pads and a sports kit.
Boy: Are you a Cricketer?
Shane: Ya..mate! (Still searching for the wallet!)
Boy: Are you a batsman or a bowler?
Shane (chuckles): Bowler..can bat sometimes!
Boy : Whats your name?
Shane (smiles): Shane.
Shane gives the money with a 5 dollar tip and wishes him a good luck for studies.
He came and told us that he met a bowler named Shane.
Everyone looked at him..(then almost beat him to death)
"WHAAAAT, you met Shane Warne?".
'Don't you know Shane Warne?',
'You moron, haven't you seen his pictures before?',
'Hell man, why didn't I get the chance',
'It always happen like this!',
'What a chance you had missed out?'
'Why didnt you get his signature, you dumbo?'
'Thank God, you didn't say him that you are from INDIA - he would've jumped out of the window if you had!'
- the reactions kept pouring in from all corners. Still, we tease him by calling 'The Man who grounded Shane Warne'
He is holding the receipt which has Shane's mobile number (a fancy!). Now he regrets for not getting a signature! I said to him, 'Dont worry my boy, you will bump into Ricky Ponting next time!'
('By the way, I have secured a ticket for Feb 10the match (first final). Hope to catch you there!')